I whipped up this delicious Paleo and Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup a few weeks back for my friends from ELXR Juice Lab. I know, I know, it’s taken me a while to post it here. Please know that I am making a concerted effort to be more blog-responsible and to post all things delicious as often as possible. I hope you can forgive my tardiness and the fact that this is a winter soup showing up in early spring. I do, however, think it fits quite well in a springtime menu. It’s light, bright, green and all the while fairly comforting. In fact, I could go for a bowl right now!
The point I’m trying to make is that I’ve developed the recipe for this Cream of Broccoli Soup to be made year-round. The secret is to make use of the highly underrated, yet unbelievably utilitarian frozen broccoli. But wait. Frozen broccoli is processed and pretty much poison, right? Nope! In fact, having a couple of bags of veggies, such as broccoli, stashed away in the freezer can be your saving grace! Frozen veggies are picked and processed at the peak of their freshness and then flash frozen super quick so they are convenient and still very nutrient-dense! In some cases, frozen broccoli may even contain a superior nutrition profile than the fresh ones that were picked months ago and trucked in from thousands of miles away. And depending on the season frozen veggies may be more affordable than the fresh stuff. Basically, frozen veggies should not be frowned upon, so grab some next time you’re out shopping – you never know when your body is going to need something green.
You’ll notice that this soup is both Paleo and Vegan, a challenge I’m often presented when cooking for my plant-loving friends at ELXR. However, if you are an omnivore such as myself you may choose to add a delicious source of lean protein to the soup. Might I suggest placing some shredded chicken overtop. Need a quick-and-easy recipe for that? I got you covered with this Lemon, Thyme and Garlic showstopper!
Give this recipe a go and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Paleo Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 500g frozen broccoli (substitute fresh but frozen is more convenient)
- 1 medium white onion – diced
- 1 celery stalk – diced
- 1 carrot – diced
- 3 cloves garlic – roughly chopped
- 1 medium Japanese yam – cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 L all-natural vegetable stock – preferably homemade
- 300ml full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- toasted pumpkin seeds (for garnish)
- coriander (for garnish)
- sliced fresh chili (for garnish)
- In a large, heavy-bottomed stockpot or Dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp coconut oil. Add onion, celery, carrot and bay leaf. Season with a pinch of salt and sauté for 12-14 minutes or until vegetables have softened and become translucent. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 90 seconds.
- Deglaze with coconut milk and bring to a steady simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, broccoli, yams and a healthy pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a steady simmer and cook until the vegetables have softened and become fork-tender (approximately 14-16 minutes).
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender until creamy and smooth. Alternatively, transfer soup to a blender or food processor and purée. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Ladle into individual serving bowls, garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk, toasted pumpkin seeds, fresh coriander and sliced chili peppers for added heat.