This recipe was created in partnership with UnBun Foods. All thoughts and opinions are the author’s alone. Thank you for supporting the brands that support me.
Most days, I’m sandwiching my burger between leaves of crisp, iceberg lettuce. Sure, things can get a bit messy but I’d rather have some sauce dripping down my arm than a wheat-induced food coma and gastrointestinal issues. I know, TMI, TMI (too much information).
But what if there was an alternative to the gluten-rich buns we’ve all come to know? One that didn’t involve messy lettuce leaves! What if there was a bun that was UnCompromisingly delicious? What if it was UnBelievably soft and chewy? What if it tasted so UnReal that you couldn’t believe it was gluten and grain-free?
Well, turns out there is such a bun and it’s everything you’ve ever hoped and dreamed for. UnBun, a Toronto-based company, make delicious, grain-free, gluten-free, Paleo-Certified and Keto-Certified buns. They’re available in over 1250 retail and restaurant locations across Canada and the United States, including Whole Foods, Organic Garage, Erewhon, and Burger’s Priest. You can click here to find all the locations.
They also have a Vegan bun option, which is amazing! And a mini baguette that’s perfect for submarine style sandwiches!
You can honestly put just about anything on an UnBun and it will be delicious. Granted, the texture and taste is a bit different than a bun made from glutinous grains, but I honestly love it. It’s spongy, light, airy and holds its shape very nicely.
It’s perfect for this UnBun Bacon Burger with Secret Sauce! First, I cooked the bacon and grilled up the 100% grass-fed chuck patties to perfection on my Traeger for a delicious wood-fired taste. I seriously am blown away with everything the Traeger can do and how easy it is to use. Not to mention the aroma and flavours that come off of it!
I then toast the UnBun Keto Buns ever so slightly to give them a crispy texture and to help create a barrier so that the secret sauce doesn’t soak into the bun as much.
As for the Secret Sauce, it’s a homemade Whole30 and Paleo copycat of that sauce everyone loves from that restaurant chain that is everywhere. I’m not sure if I’m legally allowed to say the name, but I have a feeling you know what I’m talking about.
Let’s just say that altogether, this burger was one of the best I’ve ever made, and believe me, I’ve made a lot!
Make sure you grab some UnBun Keto Buns for your next cookout and make these Bacon Burgers with Secret Sauce! I have a feeling they’ll be a hit and make you the talk of the town!
Grill up these UnBun Bacon Burgers with Secret Sauce at your next cookout! I guarantee they're a hit and you'll never guess the buns are grain & gluten free!
- ½ cup Whole30 or Paleo compliant mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sugar-free relish or finely chopped dill pickles
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon granulated onion
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup optional
- 8 UnBun Keto Buns 2 packs total
- 8 strips sugar-free bacon
- 2 lbs ground beef preferably ground chuck
- Kosher salt
- Freshly-cracked black pepper
- 4-5 dill pickles thinly sliced, for serving
- ½ head of iceberg lettuce thinly sliced, for serving
- 1 white onion finely chopped, for serving
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Using a digital scale, divide ground beef into 8 quarter-pound portions. Roll meat into ball and form into 1.5” thick patties. Using your thumb, make an indent in the center of each patty to help keep their shape while cooking. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If using a Traeger, preheat grill to 400F.
- Arrange bacon on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Transfer to grill and cook over indirect heat for approximately 20 minutes or until cooked to desired crispiness. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towel and wrap with foil to keep warm.
- Liberally season both sides of each burger patty with salt and pepper. If using a Traeger, raise heat to 450F. Place burgers over direct heat, dimpled side up first, and cook 4-5 minutes per side or until cooked to desired doneness.
- Slice UnBun Keto buns in half and toast on grill, cut-side down, for 60 seconds.
- Assemble each burger by spreading Secret Sauce on the bottom bun. Follow with onions, lettuce, bacon, burger patty, pickles and more Secret Sauce. Serve with napkins!
- The agave syrup is optional here. It adds a mild sweetness that mimics the famous sauce this is trying to replicate. However, I don't think it's entirely necessary and can easily be omitted for a Keto, Paleo and Whole30 version.
- I think the UnBun Keto Buns taste best when lightly toasted. To do this, simply slice them in half and grill them for a few seconds on the grill.