Let me guess. You’re in search of a quick and easy side salad, perhaps one to accompany an epic BBQ? Or maybe you need something that you can prepare ahead of time and bring to a summer pool party or birthday party, preferably with a BBQ situation going on? Or maybe you just want to BBQ so that you can make a side salad? Can you tell I’ve got BBQ on my mind? No matter what the occasion, this Asian Broccoli Salad with Crispy Shallots has got you covered!
It’s dead-simple, can be prepared ahead of time, tastes even better the next day, and requires only a few ingredients that, I hope, are readily available at a market near you.
The recipe, as it is written here, is Whole30 and paleo compliant. If you are not on a round of Whole30 and tend to like a sweeter broccoli salad, you can try adding a tablespoon or two of all-natural honey to the salad dressing. However, I strongly encourage you to first make and taste the dressing before sweetening it.
What most people don’t realize is that coconut aminos, which are used as a soy sauce substitute, are already quite sweet in flavour. If anything, you might need to add a bit of kosher salt to the dressing. Again, taste before adding.
As for the broccoli, it can be added raw or blanched. Catalina and I tried it both ways and agreed we preferred the broccoli when raw. It’s crunchier, slightly bitter, which we like, and makes the salad easier to prepare. After all, it’s summer and I’m doing everything in my power to reduce cooking times and avoid additional pots and pans to clean.
I should also mention that the Asian Broccoli Salad dressing used here is highly versatile. Though I don’t have a recipe for it on the blog just yet, you can use this same dressing to make an Asian Coleslaw with shredded cabbage, carrot, scallions, and cilantro. It’s good, trust me!
As always, if you make this recipe and share it on your social media, be sure to tag @primal_gourmet so I can follow along!
- 2 heads broccoli cut into florets
- 1 large shallot finely sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup carrot shredded
- 3 cloves garlic finely grated
- 1 tsp fresh ginger finely grated
- 1/2 cup compliant mayo
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds for garnish
- To a large mixing bow, add mayo, vinegar, coconut aminos, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. Whisk until smooth.
- To the dressing, add broccoli, onion and carrot and toss everything to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to refrigerator for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, add avocado oil and shallots to a cold non-stick skillet. Set over med-low heat and cook until golden brown and crispy (approx. 15min) - stir often. Transfer crispy shallots to a plate lined with paper towel. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer broccoli salad to a large serving platter. Garnish with sesame seeds and crispy shallots.
*The Asian Broccoli Salad should ideally be prepared 1-2 hours in advance so that the flavours can develop before serving. It can also be prepared the day before.
**The crispy shallots should be made the day of and take approximately 15min to cook at med-low temperature.
***The shallots can burn very quickly so be sure to keep an eye on the heat and adjust it accordingly.