Perhaps you caught my Asian Rainbow Trout Slaw recipe from the other day. Better yet, maybe you made a big batch of it! If not, it’s totally cool. We’re still friends. I know that seafood is generally a tough sell. But everybody loves chicken! Amirite? Enter this Asian Chicken Salad?
If you did read through the seafood version of this recipe, you will have seen that I typically use any of the leftover slaw to make the most epic Asian Chicken Salad! Don’t ask me why I call this a salad and that a slaw. If anything the names should be reversed since this salad has a Whole30/Paleo compliant mayo-based dressing and that slaw has a vinegar-based one. I guess Asian Chicken Salad just rolls off the tongue a bit better.
Of course, this salad only works if you happen to have leftover chicken lying around, but that’s pretty much always the case because I roast at least one Emergency Chicken per week. Don’t you just love it when you can mix and match leftovers to create something entirely different? Me too! So glad we agree!
One tip is to try adding some roasted almonds as a garnish. Many roasted nut of choice will work here. Try cashews, pecans, or walnuts. If you can find a good dry-roasted, salted almond (like the ones I get at Costco by the kilogram) use that. The roasted nuts add even more crunch to an already very crunchy salad!
I don’t know about you, but I’d say that’s a pretty good looking salad!
- 2 shredded leftover roasted chicken breasts sub dark chicken meat if that's all you have
- 1/2 head purple cabbage shaved
- 1/2 head napa cabbage shaved
- 2 med-sized carrots julienned
- 1 cup snow peas left whole
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves torn
- 12-15 sprigs fresh mint torn
- 12-15 sprigs fresh Thai basil torn
- 3 green onions finely sliced on bias for garnish
- 1 red chili pepper finely sliced on bias for garnish
- 1 handful roasted almonds for garnish
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch black pepepr
- 1 cup Whole30/Paleo compliant Mayonaise
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1.5 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger finely grated
- 1 tsp fresh garlic finely grated
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup *omit if whole30
- 1 dash compliant fish sauce such as Red Boat
- 1 dash fish sauce compliant
- Add all Dressing ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Add all salad ingredients to a bowl and pour dressing overtop. Toss everything to combine and set in the fridge at least 30 min so the flavours come together.
- Garnish with chilies and green onions.