These Eggplant Rolls with Walnut and Pomegranate Stuffing are common throughout Armenia and Georgia and it’s no wonder why. They’re loaded with flavour, easy to make, can be prepared ahead of time and best served at room temperature! An flavourful mixture of crushed walnuts, garlic, dill, and vegan mayonnaise are spooned overtop of gently fried ribbons of eggplant before being rolled-up and garnished with fresh pomegranate seeds. I know what you’re thinking and you’re right, they’re exactly the kind of appetizers that will wow your guests this holiday season. Let’s be honest, you’ll need some quick, easy and delicious canapés to accompany those entrées and sides you slave over. It’s simply an added bonus that they look like mini Christmas trees!
Note: This recipe yields approximately 18-20 appetizers. Adjust measurements as needed keeping proportions the same.
Give them a go and let me know how they turn out in the comments below!
Armenian Eggplant Rolls – Paleofied
1 large eggplant – cut into ¼ inch slices
1 cup walnuts
1/3 cup paleo mayonnaise of choice (preferably homemade)
3 cloves garlic
¼ cup fresh dill – plus a few sprigs for garnish
2 tbsp water
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
salt and pepper to taste
pomegranate arils – for garnish
(can be prepared ahead of time, served cold or at room temperature)
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Cut eggplant lengthwise into ¼ inch slices. Drizzle each side with a generous amount of EVOO and season with a bit of salt. Bake at 375F for 45-60 min or until softened throughout.
2. Remove eggplant from oven and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, add walnuts to a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground – set aside.
4. In the same food processor, blitz together the garlic, dill, paleo mayonnaise, water and black pepper until evenly combined. Add the walnuts back to food processor and fold everything together using a spoon.
5. Spoon a bit of the walnut-mayonnaise mixture overtop of each eggplant ribbon, stud with a few pomegranate arils and roll lengthwise. Slice each roll in half. Arrange on a serving platter cut-side down. Garnish with a sprig of dill and one or two more pomegranate seeds.
6. Enjoy with friends and family!