Organizing your spice drawer can be the key to a functional kitchen. With so many spices and seasonings, it can be hard to keep track of what you have on hand, leading to overstocking or running out of essential ingredients at the wrong time. Here are some tips and tricks to help you organize your spice drawer for an efficient and hassle-free cooking experience.
Tips for Organizing Your Spice Drawer
- Sort and Declutter: Start by removing all the spices from your drawer or cupboard and sort them into categories. This will allow you to see what you have, what you need and what you need to discard.
- Purge old spices: Check expiration dates and discard any spices that have passed their prime. If you haven’t used a spice or dried herb in over a year, chances are it’s no longer flavourful. Old spices can lose their flavour and aroma, leading to lacklustre dishes.
- Use Small, Clear Jars: Clear containers allow you to easily see the contents of each jar, so you don’t have to waste time searching for what you need. Be sure to use ones with airtight lids prevent spilling and keep them fresh. I purchased these square-sided bottles with metal lids on Amazon. They’re great because they can lie flat and have a wide surface for large labels.
- Label Everything: Label each spice jar with its name and, if you want to take it one step further, the date you opened it. I purchased these minimalist style spice jar labels. They make things easy to identify and are aesthetically pleasing. They also come with blank labels so you can write out less common spices like Aleppo pepper, or spice mixes like Tajín.
- Invest in a drawer organizer: A drawer organizer, like this bamboo spice rack, can help you keep your spices in place and prevent them from getting mixed up. There are many different types of organizers available, so you can find one that fits your needs and budget.
- Group Spices By Type: Consider grouping your spices by category, such as baking spices, herbs, or spices for grilling. This will make it easier to find what you’re looking for and will also help you keep track of what you need to buy next time you go to the store.
- Store in a dry place: Spices can spoil quickly if stored in a damp area. A drawer or cupboard is ideal, ideally away from the stove or sink.
3 Things You Need For An Organized Spice Drawer
Here are the 3 things I purchased on Amazon to help organize my spice drawer.