Hot Honey Garlic Wings have quickly become one of my favourite things to eat. They’re saucy, tangy, a teeny bit spicy, incredibly easy to make, and way healthier than the deep-fried Buffalo wings you get from your local sports bar.
For a Whole30-friendly version, try omitting the honey in the sauce. It will taste more like your standard Buffalo wing, but that’s never a bad thing. You don’t have to serve them with my Dill Pickle Mayo, but I don’t think you’ll regret it if you did. You can find the recipe for the dipping sauce along with my Dill Pickle Wings by clicking here.
7 Tips For Perfectly Baked Chicken Wings
There are a few secrets to making perfectly crispy chicken wings in the oven and I’ll share them all with you here:
1. Pat Wings Dry
Regardless of whether or not you rinse your chicken before cooking, you should be patting them dry with paper towel. Excess moisture will prevent them from getting golden brown and crispy.
2. Lay Wings Flat.
Piling wings one atop the other will just cause them to steam and make them soggy.
3. Space Them Out.
Leave a bit of room between each wing. Increased surface area results in a crispier finished product. If necessary, roast in batches or on separate baking sheets.
4. Roast Hot and Fast.
Wings are tiny little things and they cook fairly evenly. This means you can crank up the temperature without fear of burning the outside before the centre has had a chance to cook through.
5. Parchment Paper is Your Friend.
It makes clean up a breeze and prevents wings and spices from sticking to the baking sheet. Unlike tin foil, parchment doesn’t leach metals. It also doesn’t tear as easily as foil and possibly end up in your food.
6. Don’t Bother Flipping Halfway.
Opening the oven mid-cook let’s precious heat escape. By the time that heat builds back up to make your wings crispy, they’ll have overcooked on the inside.
7. Roast on the Bottom Rack of the Oven.
This is the hottest part of the oven and if you’ve laid your wings flat, as mentioned in tip #1, then the heat from the baking sheet will get your wings nice and crispy on the bottom.
These baked Hot Honey Garlic Wings are just as delicious as the deep-fried ones from your favourite sports bar, but they're way healthier.
- 2.5 lbs chicken wings
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp spicy paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup Buffalo-style hot sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely grated
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Pat chicken wings dry with paper towel and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season with onion powder, paprika and kosher salt. Toss to coat and lay flat in a single layer with a bit of space between each wing. Transfer wings to the bottom rack of the oven and cook 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and the thickest part of the wings register 165F on an instant-read digital thermometer.
- Meanwhile, add hot sauce, honey and garlic to a mixing bowl. Transfer cooked wings to bowl and toss to coat. Serve with dipping sauce of choice, such as my Dill Pickle Mayo.