Dairy-Free Penne alla No Vodka
Rich, creamy and super easy, this Dairy-Free Penne alla No Vodka is a riff on the classic Italian-American dish. Oh yeah, only 5 ingredients!
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound gluten-free penne pasta substitute grain-free or regular penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dry red chili flakes - optional
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Freshly-cracked black pepper
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season with 1 tablespoon salt, add the pasta and cook until al dente, usually 2-minutes less than the package instructions. Drain the pasta, reserving ¼ cup of the cooking water. Set aside.
Add the olive oil and onions to a sauté pan. Season with a pinch of salt and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, around 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 60 seconds. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring with a whisk, 2 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and whisk to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has reduced by 1/8 in volume, around 2 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as desired.
Transfer the sauce to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Return the sauce back to the sauté pan. Add the drained pasta to the sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately.