Spanish Meatballs with Cherry Tomato Sauce - Whole30
These Spanish Meatballs with Cherry Tomato Sauce are an easy, delicious and rustic way to incorporate some healthy, lean protein into your diet. They’re bursting with flavour, the meatballs can be assembled ahead of time, and they can be served in a variety of ways.
For Spanish Meatballs
- 1 lbs medium ground red meat of choice elk, venison, bison, wild boar, pork or beef
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil EVOO
For Cherry Tomato Sauce
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 1/2 or more fresh red chili pepper such as anaheim (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped - plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or water
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil optional
For the Spanish Meatballs
Add all meatball ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to mix until just combined. *Avoid overworking the meat or it will toughen.
Use a spoon or melon baller to separate mixture into 14-16 golfball-sized portions. Rub your hands with tiny bit of oil or water and roll into meatballs.
Preheat 1 tbsp EVOO in a non-stick or stainless steel skillet over med-high heat. Carefully add meatballs and brown in batches. Cook until golden brown and caramelized on all sides (approximately 12min total).
Transfer cooked meatballs to a tray and set aside.
For the Cherry Tomato Sauce
Discard all but 2-3 tbsp of rendered fat in the pan. If required, add an additional 2-3 tbsp EVOO.
Drop heat to med-low and add onions. Season with a tiny pinch of salt and cook 3-4 min or until onions have softened slightly. Add garlic and chili peppers, cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
Add tomatoes and cook 4-5 min or until slightly softened. Add stock or water and reduce by half (approx. 2-3min).
Taste for seasoning and adjust sauce with salt and pepper as required. Return meatballs to pan and toss everything to coat.
Transfer Spanish Meatballs and Cherry Tomato Sauce to a serving platter and garnish with freshly chopped parsley.