This Paleo Chicken Pot Pie is the real deal. It’s creamy, rich, delicious and hearty. It’s the ultimate comfort food for the fall and winter months.
Paleo Chicken Pot Pie
- cast-iron skillet
For Pie Crust:
- 1 cup cassava flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 1.5 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ cup cold butter or ghee cut into small cubes
- 1 whole egg whisked
- 2 tablespoons very cold water
For Chicken Filling
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 head of broccoli stems separated, peeled and diced, florets finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves roughly chopped
- 4 roasted chicken quarters or 1 whole roasted chicken skin removed and meat shredded
- Freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 tablespoon water
For Pie Crust:
- In a large bowl, combine the cassava flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, and kosher salt. Stir until incorporated. Add the cold butter and use your hands to break it apart into the flour mixture until you have an even and crumbly consistency.
- Add the whisked egg and knead until you can form the dough into a ball. If your dough is too dry, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of cold water at a time. If your dough is too wet, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of cassava flour at a time. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it between two pieces of parchment paper dusted with cassava flour. Aim for an even thickness of around ¼-inch thick. If the dough crumbles, patch the cracks by pressing the dough with your fingers.
- Keep the dough between the parchment paper, place it onto a cutting board or similar surface and refrigerate until ready to use. The dough can be made 24 hours in advance if refrigerated.
For the Chicken Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Preheat a 12” cast-iron or stainless-steel skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and let heat for 60 seconds. Add carrot, celery, onion and the broccoli stems. Season with a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook 60 seconds.
- Add arrowroot starch and cook, stirring, 60 seconds. Add the chicken stock and stir to incorporate. Add the coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the thyme and broccoli florets and stir to combine. Stir in the shredded chicken and bring everything to a simmer.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and carefully lay it overtop of the skillet. Use a paring knife to cut any pie crust that drapes over the edge. Make an “X” in the center of the crust with the knife to allow some steam to release during cooking.
- In a small bowl, whisk together one egg and one tablespoon of water. Brush the top of the pie crust with the egg wash mixture.
- Place the skillet on a sheet pan to catch any drips and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the pie crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.