Soft and fluffy on the inside, golden brown on the outside, these Easy Paleo Pancakes are so good you’ll never guess they’re dairy-free, gluten-free and grain-free.
Most of the paleo pancakes I’ve come across are not all they’re cracked up to be. They’re usually gritty, fall apart when flipping and leave you with the taste and texture of sawdust at the back of your throat. Not these. Oh, no, not these. These Easy Paleo Pancakes are absurdly good and couldn’t be simpler to make. I lovingly call them “Marcela’s Paleo Pancakes”, named after my sister-in-law who gave me the four-ingredient recipe.
What You Need for Easy Paleo Pancakes
Unlike other Paleo Pancakes, which call for a combination of various nut flours like almond and coconut flour, plus some type of nut milk, these easy paleo pancakes require very few ingredients:
- Tapioca Starch: Tapioca starch is derived from the root of the Cassava plant, a paleo-compliant woody shrub. Tapioca is my preferred flour for these easy paleo pancakes because of it’s texture. It has a beautiful, spongy, springy quality that mimics glutinous flour. It’s also neutral in flavour. Not to mention the fact that it’s fairly affordable compared to almond meal and coconut flour and you don’t need nearly as much for recipes.
- Eggs: Eggs are the glue that hold the pancakes together.
- Banana: Bananas provide natural sweetness along with flavour and texture. Ripe, brown, mushy bananas are perfect in this recipe because they’re more concentrated in flavour and the texture actually works better in the batter. If you don’t like bananas or don’t have any, you can substitute mashed sweet potato or puréed pumpkin.
- Vanilla Extract: this is not an essential ingredient, but it will add a nice flavour to the pancakes. If you don’t have any vanilla, simply omit it.
- Paleo Protein Powder: this too is not absolutely essential. However, adding a scoop of protein powder to your pancake batter will help you feel full and add some nutrition.
Marcela’s Easy Paleo Pancakes
- 1 large egg
- 1 ripe banana the mushier the better
- 2 level tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/8 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 scoop paleo protein powder optional
- Throughly combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Using a ladle or measuring cup, pour the batter into a greased non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Cook approximately 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Transfer Paleo Pancakes to a plate and serve with your favourite toppings such as fresh fruit and almond butter.
13 replies on “Marcela’s Easy Paleo Pancakes”
Can’t wait to try this recipe!! Have you ever made these ahead? Are they freezable?
I’ve never made the batter ahead of time. This comes together in less than 10 minutes start to finish so I never really saw any reason to experiment with it! They’re delicious and I hope you enjoy them!
These looks great, I cannot wait to make them! Do you have recommendations for an egg substitute? My son is allergic to eggs so finding healthy breakfasts for him has been a challenge. Love your page and recipes, you’ve gotten us through the middle part of our Whole30! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes.
I’m afraid I can’t think of any paleo substitutes for eggs in this recipe. I’m sorry!
[…] or 12” skillet that I use for frying fish, reheating leftovers, sautéing vegetables, making Paleo Pancakes, Salmon Cakes or Sedaring Scallops. It’s ideal for anything you want to cook over med-high to […]
Any substitutes for bananas? My family is weirdly allergic to several supposedly non allergenic foods, bananas being one of them. Love your recipes and watching you cook…man, you got knife skillz!
You can try puréed sweet potato or pumpkin! Both work well!
Substitute for tapioca flour?? Coconut maybe??
As mentioned in the recipe, I think the texture is far better with tapioca starch or even cassava flour. Coconut is a bit gritty and on its own won’t hold up as nicely in the batter. You’ll likely need to add other ingredients to compensate.
[…] essential to my day-to-day cooking. I use them to dredge meats, thicken sauces, and make my famous Paleo Pancakes and Banana Bread. They’re ideal for people with gluten allergies or sensitivities and those […]