Soft and fluffy on the inside, golden brown on the outside, these Easy Paleo Pancakes are so good you’ll never guess they’re dairy-free, gluten-free and grain-free.
Most of the paleo pancakes I’ve come across are not all they’re cracked up to be. They’re usually gritty, fall apart when flipping and leave you with the taste and texture of sawdust at the back of your throat. Not these. Oh, no, not these. These Easy Paleo Pancakes are absurdly good and couldn’t be simpler to make. I lovingly call them “Marcela’s Paleo Pancakes”, named after my sister-in-law who gave me the four-ingredient recipe.
What You Need for Easy Paleo Pancakes
Unlike other Paleo Pancakes, which call for a combination of various nut flours like almond and coconut flour, plus some type of nut milk, these easy paleo pancakes require very few ingredients:
- Tapioca Starch: Tapioca starch is derived from the root of the Cassava plant, a paleo-compliant woody shrub. Tapioca is my preferred flour for these easy paleo pancakes because of it’s texture. It has a beautiful, spongy, springy quality that mimics glutinous flour. It’s also neutral in flavour. Not to mention the fact that it’s fairly affordable compared to almond meal and coconut flour and you don’t need nearly as much for recipes.
- Eggs: Eggs are the glue that hold the pancakes together.
- Banana: Bananas provide natural sweetness along with flavour and texture. Ripe, brown, mushy bananas are perfect in this recipe because they’re more concentrated in flavour and the texture actually works better in the batter. If you don’t like bananas or don’t have any, you can substitute mashed sweet potato or puréed pumpkin.
- Vanilla Extract: this is not an essential ingredient, but it will add a nice flavour to the pancakes. If you don’t have any vanilla, simply omit it.
- Paleo Protein Powder: this too is not absolutely essential. However, adding a scoop of protein powder to your pancake batter will help you feel full and add some nutrition.
Marcela’s Easy Paleo Pancakes
- 1 large egg
- 1 ripe banana the mushier the better
- 2 level tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/8 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 scoop paleo protein powder optional
- Throughly combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Using a ladle or measuring cup, pour the batter into a greased non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Cook approximately 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Transfer Paleo Pancakes to a plate and serve with your favourite toppings such as fresh fruit and almond butter.