This Sausage, Greens and Beans is perfect year round and especially nice come winter. It’s quick, easy and hearty comfort food at its finest. Not to mention gluten-free.
What You Need For Sausage, Greens & Beans
- Sausage: I like to use a mild Italian sausage in this dish. They’re usually seasoned with fennel and oregano, which pair perfectly with the beans and kale. You can, of course, substitute Hot Italian for extra spice, or your favourite type of sausage.
- Greens: I used Tuscan Kale here (AKA dino kale, lacinato kale, cavolo nero, black kale.) Feel free to substitute any type of dark, leafy green of choice. You can use Swiss chard, collard greens, escarole, chicory, or curly endive. I’ve even made this recipe with romaine lettuce and it came out delicious! If the greens you’re using have a thick, fibrous stem, you’ll want to remove and save it for something else. Otherwise, the dish will be a bit too chewy.
- Beans: My preferred bean for this Sausage, Greens and Beans is a white kidney or cannellini. Not only for it’s colour, but also for its buttery texture. To save time, I use canned beans that I drain and rinse before adding to the pan. You can use homemade beans for even better flavour and texture.
- Chicken Stock: Homemade chicken stock is best, but a good store-bought one, like Kettle & Fire, will do just fine.
- Aromatics: I like to sauté some shallot and garlic along with the sausages for extra flavour. Think of this as the bare minimum when it comes to aromatics. You can add more if you like. Thinly sliced celery, diced fennel, scallions, or green peppers would all be welcome here.
- Cheese: It’s not an absolute must, but I’d be lying if I said this Sausage, Greens and Beans didn’t taste better with a shaving of pecorino Romano overtop of it. Just a touch is all you need to transform this dish into a superstar.
- Bomba Calabrese: One of my favourite condiments is a bright, vibrant and spicy Calabrian chile oil. Unlike other chile oils, Bomba Calabrese is typically made with eggplant, mushrooms and artichokes. Check your local Italian markets or butcher first. Otherwise, you can try the international aisle of your grocery store or order online.
Sausage, Greens and Beans – Gluten-Free
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 14 oz mild Italian sausage
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chile flakes
- 14 oz can cannellini or white kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 small bunch Tuscan kale destemmed and leaves roughly chopped (substitute any dark leafy green such as swiss chard, escarole, chicory, or collard greens)
- 16 fl oz chicken stock
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese for garnish (optional)
- Bomba Calabrese substitute chile oil of choice (optional)
- Preheat a sauté pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add the sausages and cook, flipping often, until browned all over, around 6 minutes.
- Add the shallots, garlic, oregano and chile flakes. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the beans and kale and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the kale has wilted, around 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, top with pecorino Romano and chile oil, if using.