A few weeks ago a very kind reader sent me a care package with some Trader Joe’s Everything-but-the-Bagel Seasoning – four jars to be exact. There were also some chocolates in the shape of Pringles chips. Those didn’t last very long.
The seasoning contains black and white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dehydrated onion and garlic and sea salt. Like the name hints, it’s the seasonings you’ll find on an ‘Everything’ bagel. Come to think of it, I don’t know Everything bagels usually include onion and garlic? In any case, it seems like this seasoning has taken the America by storm and people are putting it on everything from avocado toast to fried eggs. People in Canada aren’t the wiser since we don’t have Trader Joe’s up here. We do have a pretty good health care program though!
I don’t eat many bagels these days. I do, however, eat a lot of salads so what better way to use the seasoning than on an Everything-but-the-Bagel Salad? This salad can be prepared ahead of time and is perfect for work lunches during the week or even a Sunday brunch. I’ve had it both ways (on several occasions) and have yet to be disappointed.
Both the seasoning and the salad ingredients are Whole30 and Paleo compliant. However, if you are going to use smoked salmon, as recommended, please be sure to read the ingredients list since most are made with sugar. Nanuk makes a delicious sugar-free smoked salmon if you can find it. Note that most gravlax (cured fish) are made with sugar and/or alcohol, such as vodka.
Whole30 Everything-But-The-Bagel Salad
- 1/2 head ice berg lettuce or mixed greens
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes cut into 1/8ths
- 1/2 English cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 avocado cut into wedges
- 4-5 radishes thinly sliced
- 4-5 slices smoked salmon sugar-free
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp capers optional
- 1 tbsp Everything-but-the-Bagel seasoning
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Gently submerge eggs using a slotted spoon. Cook exactly 6 minutes for runny yolks and cooked whites (or longer, as desired). Transfer cooked eggs to ice bath and cool 2-3 minutes.
- Prepare salad by spreading lettuce across a serving platter. Top with piles of onion, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado and radish. Drape slices of salmon overtop.
- Peel eggs and add to salad. Slice eggs in half, length-wise directly over salad so that none of the runny yolks are lost.
- Drizzle salad with EVOO and lemon juice and season with Everything-but-the-Bagel seasoning. Garnish with capers.